January 11, 2009

hyacinth in progress
























This is a still life in progress on my easel at the moment. As I mentioned in the previous post, color tends to be overdone in many of my paintings so I am concentrating on getting values worked out first. I'm on the second pass and see that the green of the leaves is too saturated so I'll correct it with some glazes of burnt sienna to neutralize the green with its opposite, red. After that the pot needs more work and the flowers edges are too sharp in areas so those will be softened. So far I've managed to keep the dark background transparent which is good.
I've posted a photo of the subject to illustrate the process for the blog. I only paint still life from actual objects, painting from a photo is very frustrating.


No comments: