This painting was finished about a week ago. I'm fairly happy with this one, although I really wish I had made the eggs much smaller. There would have to be a chicken sitting on that nest to lay such large eggs... since the nest is only about six inches across that would be quite impossible. The flower is not bad though.
After quite a good run of painting and illustrating I hit a rough patch yesterday. I began a painting of some very lovely flowers in a cobalt vase and it was horrible when I finished. In the end I rubbed the paint off of the canvas and left it to dry. It will be the underpainting for a different composition . This experience reminded me that everyone eventually runs out of ideas and when that happens it's time to stop, look around and find inspiration.