December 17, 2007

Let it snow...






















No, it's not snowing here in Seattle, lots of rain though. I can remember my grandpa saying "without the rain it wouldn't be so green in the Northwest." So welcome rain.

Painting is going well. Every time I sit down to paint a still life the form is more and more comprehensible and the subtle color and light changes are easier to see. Translating what I see has become less difficult.

Landscape, on the other hand is mind boggling. I am working on a couple of pieces in the studio and while some aspects are successful others are a disappointing. I belong to a critique group led by Mitch Albala which is incredibly helpful. Listening to the comments helps tremendously. One thing is have learned so far is not to just jump into a painting. Paying careful attention to composition, values and color in the planning process helps eliminate lost time on a mediocre idea.



3 comments:

MariaJ said...

Thank you so much for leaving comment on my blog. Isnt it funny that although we leave far away each other we share the same kind of climate. I think we have colder winter though than you cause the temperature can be -30 C some days here. Luckily its very rare! Anyway...your art.WOW. I love your soft way to paint! Also you use lovely colors. You have a real gift which we all can enjoy. Do you sell your paintings only in galleries?

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Fabulous work !!

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle,
I like the atmospheric light that you are achieving in your landscapes now. That is very cool. Keep up the good work!