November 27, 2005


This is a portrait I recently painted of my daughter. Thank goodness for her patience and good humor, she must of heard "Hold still please" a million times.

I work from life and mostly in the direct method using oils. I'm in the process of learning more about the indirect method used by artists like Vermeer. This entails painting an underpainting using a very limited palette and concentrating on getting a high key value composition down first, then following with layers of glazes.

2 comments:

tlchang said...

Yippee! Looks lovely. It also looks like you've set it up to only allow blogspot members to comment. Looks like you figured out uploading of pictures! Now I'll see about linking you to mine...

Oh - and yes, I got the email on color choices. I am attempting a variation like you suggested. Will send it to you...

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, The portrait is lovely, can't wait to see more...Kathleen